Monday, January 23, 2012

Yu-Gi-Oh! Generation V

Okay, so today I will take a break from talking about the old Yu-gi-oh! cards. (And I actually do mean "old". So far all of the cards I have talked about are relatively old; but it's all good.)

Almost a year ago the newest Pokemon games, Pokemon Black Version and Pokemon White Version, the Fifth Generation, were released in North America. For a whole decade I was reluctant to actually buy or even play a Pokemon game, but that is another story. It wasn't until Gold Version and Silver Version were remade into Heart Gold and Soul Silver Version for the Nintendo DS that I began to consider trying to play a Pokemon game after the many years I first tried it, especially with the new Pokewalker device that made the game seem even more enticing. But it was not until I began to look into Pokemon Black and White that I really got serious about beginning to play these games. After I realized that at one point I did like Pokemon and began to develop an interest in the new games especially for its enhanced graphical capabilities, and I am not actually what some gamers might call a "graphics whore", I began to ask myself 'what version should I even buy?'



At this point I was not researching too heavily on what Pokemon were exclusive to which version and like most people I tried to base my decision off of judging the book by its cover, or in this case, judging the game version off of its cover monster. I spent a while looking at the two monsters and I tried listening to opinions regarding both cover Legendaries. One even described Reshiram (the white dragon) as a creature designed by Dr. Suess. As weighed the choice I was presented with in my mind to predict how my decision might affect my appeal to aesthetics, I began to joke around about the design of the two dragons. Finally, as I payed closer attention to the obvious contrasts in the proposed game's color scheme I noticed something funny.



"One is a white Dragon-Type Monster with blue eyes and the other is a black Dragon-Type Monster with red eyes!" It was a joke that I told to my friend, who is an avid Pokemon Trainer. This was just a funny little parallel that I drew between Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon. Eventually I came across this very same joke on the internet, with an image that paired Reshiram (white dragon) with Zekrom (black dragon) in a double battle against Blue-Eyes White Dragon and Red-Eyes Black Dragon.

2 comments:

  1. Woah, jabroni, you're freaking me out.

    I would call it a juxtaposition but there's just way too many comparisons here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure that this is indeed juxtaposition. Also, since I am still at it, you might notice that the Blue-Eyes White Dragon is more powerful. From what I have heard, Black Version seems to have sold more copies than White Version.

      Delete