Sunday, January 15, 2012

Card Review: Blue-Eyes White Dragon

The first card I will review is the first card that came into my possession, and for many people and myself, it is also one of my very favorite cards; the Blue-Eyes White Dragon. I obtained this card when I decided to buy Starter Deck Kaiba many years ago, as my older brother chose Starter Deck Yugi. (This is just like deciding which version of Pokemon to buy, simply because of its cover monster.) I sided with Starter Deck Kaiba for the obvious reason being that the Blue-Eyes is stronger than the Dark Magician, but also for quite a few reasons justified only by novelty. It was mentioned in the show that only four Blue-Eyes White Dragon cards existed: three are used by Seto Kaiba, the fourth is a plot device for the first episode. Because the creators made the Blue-Eyes White Dragon an extremely rare card in the show, there was still a special feeling to actually owning one, despite how different the actual trading card game is from the TV show. Sadly, I no longer own the original card I owned many years ago.

Let's examine this handsome dragon. The Blue-Eyes White Dragon is a, Light Attributed, Level 8 Dragon-Type Normal Monster boasting 3000ATK and 2500DEF. Being that it is a "Normal Monster" it holds no special abilities of its own, unlike many monster cards that are used today; however, it still holds the honor of inherently being the most powerful Normal Monster printed. Few cards have come close to matching its strength, they too, being Normal Monsters cards. Because it is a Level 8 monster, Blue-Eyes requires 2 tributes to be Normal Summoned, or in this case, Tribute Summoned. Because it has no effect however, Blue-Eyes White Dragon does not restrict itself from freely being Special Summoned, which allows it to easily be utilized as a powerful offense. Cards such as Monster Reborn and Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon make the summoning of Blue-Eyes White Dragon Easier. Because Blue-Eyes White Dragon is a card not often used in most competitive decks, other cards have been made to support the use of the Blue-Eyes White Dragon and has even undergone alternate card forms, which present alternative artworks of the dragon.

Overall, this card is a powerful card, but as I have mentioned my reasons to use them is mostly for novelty. Sure it is possible to build an army of dragons and utilize three copies of the dragon to destroy your opponent, but popular and effective means of using this monster are mostly for deck thinning and draw power combos with cards like White Stone of Legend (and Cards of Consonance) and Trade-In; in other words abuse. This monster can come in different forms, meaning that the card is an entirely different monster, although the card will depict a white dragon with blue eyes with the same stats. [Level 8 Dragon-Type Monster with 3000ATK/2500DEF]. Those other forms deserve their own posts sometime in the future. As for cards that could easily defeat this legendary creature, well, those cards will be reviewed another day.

4 comments:

  1. Only 4 existed then, only 4 versions exist now. Coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean. I thought that was funny too. While looking at the galleries it turns out that there are actually 5 artworks for the Blue-Eyes White Dragon; but I couldn't fit it into the image. I just had to compromise and make it with this. Either way, it looks exactly like the 3rd version, except instead of a stone behind the dragon it is a full moon and he is about to fire an energy beam from its mouth.

      Delete
  2. I remember never buying the Kaiba set because he was a suicidal prick. Then I had to compromise because I so totally wanted the Blue-eyes.

    I never did anything with any of the Yugi-Oh cards I owned, I just flicked them at people, which is probably insulting to those that play it. I apologize sincerely, I GUESS.

    ReplyDelete