Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Ascending a Tower of Heaven


And now it is time for something completely different; but boy, do I just love finding awesome things on the internet! Recently I found a flash game called Tower of Heaven. It is challenging platformer game, but it is very short and has a simple story to follow it. In addition to being a simple game with a simple narrative, the music is great! I am a fan of video game soundtracks and the songs in Tower of Heaven are some of the best (chiptune) music I have ever heard. (They are probably the best chiptune only songs I have heard.)


To Set the mood here is my favorite song from the game.




Now, I don't want to spoil any story details because I'd like for you all to try playing this game, or at least to check it out if you find it too difficult and not worth your time. However, what made this game unique to me was its plot device to justify the increasing difficulty of its levels. In the game, you are assigned new laws to follow as you run through each level, and breaking those laws results in divine wrath. Overcoming these challenges made it much more satisfying to complete the game, especially with the story's touching ending.



What I find very appealing about this flash game is the quality of its craft. I actually found this game when I stumbled upon a "demake" of Super Smash Bros. called Super Smash Land. The purpose was to make a "Gameboy version/port of Super Smash Bros.", and watching the promotional video for that game actually made me believe that Tower of Heaven was some obscure Game Boy release that only a small fan base would have remembered, since a level was added to Super Smash Land that carried over elements from the original flash game. 

But as it turns out, Tower of Heaven is only a couple of years old. The game can be played on Newgrounds and is available for download (for free) on the creator's website. The music is made by Flashygoodness. If you are a fan of good catchy video game music, flashgames, or platformer games, then this should be worth your time to look into. As I've said, it's a challenging game but it's short and possible to beat. And, remember to follow each of the Commandments... I mean, the Laws!

No comments:

Post a Comment